Development of a Portable Lab-on-a-Chip System for Genetic Diagnostics and Compatible HBV Diagnostic Kits
- Yegan Erdem (PI)
- Barbaros Çetin (Consultant)
- Coskun Kocabas (Consultant-BILKENT PHYSICS)
- Sentegen Biotechnology Ltd. Sti.
- Umutcan Çalışkan
Project Duration:Start Date: August 1st, 2013
Expected Completion Date: December 31st, 2017
Summary:Real-time Ploymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) is a technology which enbales the amplification of cDNA samples obtained from DNA and mRNA and the detection of the products in real time. RT-PCR has many application areas such as diagnosis of genetic disorders, patogen detection, oncologic studies, detection of genetically modified organisms, prenatal diagnosis
etc. The objective of this project is to develop a portable, integrated microfluidics based lab-on-a-chip (LOC) device for diagnostic, therapy, detection and monitoring. According to the World Heath Organization, 2 billion people had been HBV infected worldwide by 2008 and 350 million people had been having chronic infection. Moreover, it is predicted that every year approximately 600.000 people die because of acute or chronic results of Hepatit-B virus (HBV). An early dignosis of HBV infection reduces the death rate by 25%. The molecular diagnostic results of an HBV infected patient needs to be reliable. RT-PCR is a reliable method for diagnostic of HBV infection and is used as a gold-standard method in clinics. The proposed device will be capable of deciding copy number of HBV DNA in blood for diagnostic purpose. Although the hardware of the device will be for multiple use, the microfluidics chip where the biological analysis is performed will be disposable. Disposable chip will reduce the risk of infection.
- Karakurt, İ., Çetin, B. (2015). "Continuous flow microfluidic PCR reactor", 2nd Novel Fluidic Technologies and Applications Workshop, April 9-10, İzmir, Turkey
- Karakurt, İ., Çetin, B. (2014). "Multiphysics simulation of microfluidic reactor for polymerase chain reaction", International Symposium on Convective Heat and Mass Transfer (CONV-14), Paper No: 79, June 8-13, Kuşadası, Aydın, Turkey
- Salemmilani, R., Çetin, B. (2013). "Spiral microﬂuidic device for continuous ﬂow PCR", ASME 2013 Summer Heat Transfer Conference(17305) p.V002T11A001, July 14–19, Minneapolis, MN, USA