Multiscale Analysis and Micro-Texture Design for Lubrication Interfaces
Funding:TÜBİTAK (The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey) - 1001 Program (114M406)
Project Duration:Start Date: October 15th, 2014
Expected Completion Date: April 15th, 2017
Summary:The purpose of this project is to conduct fundamental theoretical and numerical research on the multiscale computational mechanics of lubrication interfaces, to develop approaches which can rapidly reflect the effect of micro-roughness on the macroscopic lubrication response and utilize these approaches for the optimization of the macro-lubrication response. The studies to be carried out within this project will not only make use of rapidly increasing computational power but also benefit from recent advances in micro-tribology. The new approaches to be developed will form a basis for the design and manufacturing of novel lubrication interfaces, and also offer applications to the tribology of biological surfaces via soft elastohydrodynamic lubrication studies.
The work that has been reported in the publication(s) listed below was (partially) funded by this project.
- Waseem, A., Guilleminot, J., Temizer, İ. (2017). "Stochastic Multiscale Analysis in Hydrodynamic Lubrication", International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering (in press)
- Waseem, A., Temizer, İ., Kato, J., Terada, K. (2017). "Micro-Texture Design and Optimization in Hydrodynamic Lubrication via Two-Scale Analysis", Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, v.56 p.227-248
- Temizer, İ., Stupkiewicz, S. (2016). "Formulation of the Reynolds Equation on a Time-Dependent Lubrication Surface", Proceedings of the Royal Society A, v.472 p.20160032
- Waseem, A., Temizer, İ., Kato, J., Terada, K. (2016). "Homogenization-Based Design of Surface Textures in Hydrodynamic Lubrication", International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, v.108 p.1427-1450
- Kılıç, K.İ., Temizer, İ. (2016). "Tuning Macroscopic Sliding Friction at Soft Contact Interfaces: Interaction of Bulk and Surface Heterogeneities", Tribology International, v.104 p.83-97
- Kabacaoğlu, G., Temizer, İ. (2015). "Homogenization of Soft Interfaces in Time-Dependent Hydrodynamic Lubrication", Computational Mechanics, v.56 p.421-441